Monday, January 15, 2007

From the Republic of Conscience

... is one of my all time favourite poems. It's about the suffering of immigrants, abuse of power, universal citizenship and written (by Seamus Heaney) without an iota of hopelessness. It reminds me (don't laugh) of an Eminem song about reform in the US. I won't link to the Eminem song because I don't agree with all the sentiments in it.

Anyways, both works are about reform, Heaney using a mix of sadness, hope and anger, and Eminem using just anger. Like I said in a previous post, I like artists who make great art which is also great advocacy. When I was younger I used to think thats the only kind of art that should exist. Hmmmm.

4 comments:

jokerman said...

eminem, nonetheless, is the more popular act. perhaps pure anger has a better sale value?

leading from which, one of the jokermen requests atticus to consider a post on a definition for art.

Human Caffeinated said...

my anger just ends up in whole messed up jumble of words which only i can deciper... but hey at least i feel good writing it. http://www.ourmedia.org/node/288370

Things sometimes missunderstood to be dark are usualy things crying out for light.

i think this is kinda what this blog's url stands for..

Joris & Loek said...

I just read the poem, and liked it very much, couldn't really find the anger there though, and probably that's why I liked it so much. I read Heaney's wikipedia page just now, and he is quoted there saying he likes Eminem very much for having a strong voice. Maybe he is thinking about the same song.

Atticus said...

Hmm. Just re-read it, and you're right - there's no obvious anger. I think the contrast between what he was describing and real life made me angry, and made me feel that anyone who wrote that poem would have felt the same when writing it.

How did you manage to go so way back in the blog? :-)